Skin Cancer Treatments Cleveland and Columbus
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer today in the United States, commonly occurring in areas that are frequently exposed to the sun. The most common types of skin cancers are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. Skin cancer treatment depends on the type, size and the location of the tumor. Most skin cancers can be treated in the office with simple procedures, however, more advanced cases which require extensive reconstruction are performed in the operating room. Medical insurance will cover the treatment and no additional cosmetic fee is charge to the patients.
Dr. Parry has used his skills as a double board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon to remove and repair thousands of skin cancer cases over the past 6 years
The surgical technique used depends on the location, size, and type of the skin cancer. Dr. Parry works very closely with local dermatologist and Mohs surgeons for the removal and repair of skin cancer cases. During your consultation, Dr. Parry will work closely with you to determine the best technique to achieve optimal results.
Dr. Parry will use his cosmetic skills as a double board certified facial plastic and reconstruction surgeon to ensure the best cosmetic outcome is achieved in skin cancer cases
Tumor Clearance Techniques
- In most cases wide local excision of the tumor (removing the tumor and small amount of healthy skin around the tumor) will be adequate
- In cosmetically sensitive areas of the face (around the nose, lips, ears, eyes or in case of recurrent tumor) a more definitive technique will be performed to clear the tumor, such as
- Removal of the tumor by a board-certified Mohs surgeon who specializes in skin cancer removal layer by layer under the microscope, to ensure the smallest possible defect. The repair or reconstruction will be performed in the office by Dr. Parry on the same day as the removal.
- Dr. Parry removes small sections of the edge of the tumor which are immediately reviewed by a board certified dermatopathologist (a specialist in reading skin cancer pathology). This technique will ensure that the least amount of healthy tissue is removed, resulting in the best cosmetic outcome. Once all cancer cells have been removed, Dr. Parry will then repair and reconstruct the defect site in the office on the same day as the removal.
Repair of Skin Cancer Defects
- Most cases are repaired via a simple straight-line closure
- More complicated cases may require skin flaps (moving of healthy skin from a surrounding area into the defect) or skin grafts (removal of skin from a donor site to be used to repair the defect site)
- The majority of cases can be performed in the office on the same day
- Complex cases are performed under anesthesia in the operating room or surgical center
- Dr. Parry works very closely with the patient to ensure the proper technique is used to meet the goals
How much downtime can I expect?
Most patients can return to work the same day as the surgery. Sutures are removed in 4 to 10 days depending on the size and the location.
Does insurance cover the treatment of skin cancer by a facial plastic surgeon?
Will there be additional charges for a cosmetic closure?
No, Dr. Parry always use the best cosmetic techniques to ensure the finest outcome possible.
How much pain will I experience post-operative?
Post-operative pain is minimal and most patients will only require over the counter pain relievers, or mild prescription pain medications prescribed by Dr. Parry.
Have more questions?
During your consultation Dr. Parry will be able to discuss a Cleveland skin cancer removal and repair in greater detail. Contact us today to arrange for your Cleveland facial plastic surgery consultation.
Always trust your face to a double board certified, fellowship trained facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon