Dr. Parry's Military Biography
Colonel Parry is the 179 Airlift Wing (AW) Medical Group Commander, Air National Guard, Mansfield, Ohio. The 179 AW Medical Group provides immunizations, public health, optometry, laboratory, and dental services to support preventive health assessments and deployment processing. As commander of the 179 Medical Group, he ensures members of the 179 AW and 200 RED HORSE Squadron are able to deploy, mission-ready, to anywhere in the world.
Colonel Parry joined the 179th Airlift Wing, Ohio Air National Guard in 1986 and was assigned to Food Services. In 1990, he transferred into the Intelligence field where he obtained the rank of Technical Sergeant. During this time, he also attended Kent State University and graduated in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. In 1997 he received his commission as a Second Lieutenant and served as an Intelligence Officer at the 179th. He entered medical school in 1999 where he graduated 5th in his class with a degree in Osteopathic Medicine in 2003. He went on to complete a residency in Otolaryngology in 2008 and a fellowship in Facial Plastic Surgery in 2009. In Oct. 2009, he completed the Aerospace Medicine Primary Course and was awarded the rating of Flight Surgeon. In 2011, he transferred to the 110th AW to serve as the Chief of Intelligence, leading the Intelligence section through the 2011 AMC ORI with the shop receiving an outstanding performance award and deploying in support of C-27 operations in Afghanistan. He transferred into the Medical Group at the 110th AW in 2012 where he became the Chief of Aerospace Medicine. In January of 2016 Colonel Parry transferred back to the 179th AW as the new Medical Group Commander for the 179th AW. Colonel Parry has deployed in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Southern Watch, Allied Force, Provide Promise, Joint Forge, Cornet Oak, Flintlock, Theater Security Package, and Unified Response.
1994 Bachelor of Arts Degree (Magna Cum Laude), Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
1997 Officer Training School, Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air Base, Knoxville, Tenn.
2003 Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Erie, Pa.
2004 General Surgery Internship, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2007 Squadron Officer School, Correspondence
2008 Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery Residency, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2009 Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
2009 Aerospace Medicine Primary Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks AFB, Texas
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2015 Air War College, Correspondence
2016 Medical Group Commanders’ Course, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
1. Jul 1986 – Jun 1990, Food Service Specialist, 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio
2. Jul 1990 – May 1997, Intelligence Operations Technician, 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio
3. Jun 1997 – Jun 2011, Intelligence Officer, 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio
4. Jul 2011 – Sep 2012, Chief of Intelligence, 110th Airlift Wing, Battle Creek, Mich.
5. Oct 2012 – Sep 2014, Squadron Flight Surgeon, 110th Airlift Wing, Battle Creek, Mich.
6. Oct 2014 – Dec 2016, Chief of Aerospace Medicine, 110th Airlift Wing, Battle Creek, Mich.
7. Jan 2016 – Sept 2016, Chief of Aerospace Medicine, 110th Airlift Wing, Battle Creek, Mich.
8. Oct 2016 – Present, Medical Group Commander, 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio
1. Aug 2017 – Oct 2017, Flight Surgeon, 506 EARS, Anderson AB, Guam, Theater Security Package
2. Feb 2017 – Mar 2017, Flight Surgeon, Operation Flintlock, Special Operations Command Africa, Chad, Africa
3. Sep 2016 – Oct 2016, Flight Surgeon, USSOUTHCOM, Hurricane Mathew Relief, Haiti, Jamaica, & Cuba
4. Jan 2012 – May 2012, Chief Intelligence Officer, 702nd EAS, Kandahar AB, Afghanistan (OEF)
5. Jan 2010 – Jan 2010, Chief Intelligence Officer, 35th EAS Muniz, Puerto Rico (Operation Unified Response)
6. Feb 2010 – Feb 2010, Chief Intelligence Officer, 38th EAS, Ramstein, Germany (Operation Joint Enterprise)
7. Jun 2005 – Sep 2005, Chief Intelligence Officer, 386th AEW, Ali AL Salem AB, Kuwait (OIF)
8. Apr 2002 – Jun 2002, Intelligence Officer, 320th AEW, Seeb AB, Oman (OEF)
9. Jun 2000 – Jul 2000, Intelligence Officer, 733rd AEW, Al Jaber AB, Kuwait (Operation Southern Watch)
10. Jun 1999 – Jul 1999, Intelligence Officer, 86th AW, Ramstein AB, Germany (Operation Allied Force)
11. Jun 1993 – Jul 1993, Intelligence Analyst, 37th AS, Rhein Main AB, Germany (Operation Provide Promise)
12. Jan 1991 – Jan 1991, Intelligence Analyst, 24th AS, Howard AFB, Panama (Operation Cornet Oak)
Rating: Flight Surgeon, 23 Oct 2009
Flight Hours: 310
Aircraft flown: C-130H, KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two mobility devices
USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
NATO ISAF Medal (Afghanistan)
Certification of Recognition for Outstanding Performance during the AMC ORI, 110th AW (2011)
Certification of Recognition for Outstanding Performance during the AMC ORI, 179th AW (2010)
NGAUS Valley Forge Certificate for Heroism, Heroic Actions during a New Orleans Gang Shooting (2009)
Certification of Recognition for Outstanding Performance during the AMC ORI, 179th AW (2006)
Superior Performer Award, Selected by 9th AF IG Team during the ACC ORI, 179th AW (1995)
Airmen of the Year, Ohio Air National Guard (1988)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun. 27, 1997
First Lieutenant Jun. 27, 1999
Captain Jun. 27, 2001
Major Jan. 9, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Mar. 29, 2012
Colonel Sep. 15, 2016